Monday, March 28, 2011

A moment or two on (gasp!) TV

*EDIT* Sorry rushed to post this and had a few typos. For a trained journalist this is appalling, which is why I'm apologizing haha. I've also changed my comment setting so you can comment without having an account :)

Wow I'm getting a lot of visitors to the blog now which makes me really happy. First off - if you'd like me to watch a film and then review it, let me know. It can be anything old or new...I'll literally watch anything.

No review to post today, just a quick update and I should be back with a few reviews and things starting tomorrow. Next up for reviews actually is a great little British film I saw on Saturday called "Made in Dagenham" starring the great Sally Hawkins, so look out for that soon.

Now, onto my little chat about TV. This is predominantly a movie/film blog, but I do watch a couple of TV shows rather religiously too. So, bare with me while I write about it for a minute or two.



I actually made a point of not watching so much television in 2010/2011 and I've stuck to that pretty well. Other than the odd guilty pleasure (Big Brother in the summer, Biggest Loser...more on that below, and 30 Rock...because obviously Tina Fey is a comedy god)...I manage to avoid it often enough. Having said this, last week's episode of Grey's Anatomy that ended in a car crash, and the much-anticipated episode airing this Thursday in which they all SING, is keeping me on the edge of my seat. And naturally since it's all I seem to think about, I decided to blog about it.

Part of my obsession with film originates with my overall ability to obsess over anything if I'm given reason enough. This began back in the day with Prince William (don't ask), went on to Angelina Jolie (pre-Brad era), and currently resides with Jillian Michaels (you don't have to get it, but really that woman is knock-me-down gorgeous). The last exception to this rule is the aforementioned Grey's Anatomy, specifically the Callie and Arizona pairing...of which I have been overly, if not disturbingly, obsessed with as of late.






Now to explain: I'm gay and with this comes a natural bias towards gay-lady storylines. They are few and far between. Yes, Grey's Anatomy is as a whole a very dramatic, sometimes annoying hour-long drama about doctors. But it's also the source of one of the most full-realized lesbian couples ever on television. While the average person might not understand the gravity of this to someone like me, I'll attempt to explain.

There is so much entertainment out there nowadays with movies, TV, web, books, etc. Mainstream television is often just that, mainstream. I don't take a great deal of issue with this actually - to me as long as the stories are well written and the acting is decent, I'm alright with it. Despite all this, when a network show that has been on the air for seven seasons (and has a strong viewer base) decides to prominently feature storylines about two awesome women surgeons who just happen to be in love with each other, I take a great deal of notice.

What makes it even better is I've watched this show since the beginning. Naturally, this makes it all the more epic to me. I can't even really explain television obsessions. Sure, I have a good head on my shoulders and most of the time I realize that strongly obsessing over a show, any show, comes across a bit vapid. Regardless, haha it is happening to me this week.

I guess all it takes is an intense storyline involving accidental pregnancies, two women crazy in love but also crazy different, a surprise marriage proposal and now this week - a hallucinatory episode that leads to a great deal of television surgeons breaking out into song. And I can't help but love it. Hopefully once the episode airs on Thursday, I'll be able to get my brain back into the real world.

In the meantime...check out this wicked sneak peek (if you are so inclined). Warning if you haven't seen this and don't want to...it is a SPOILER.




Oh television, sometimes you are so bad that you're gooood.

Anyway, enough TV talk I'll be back with a new review hopefully tomorrow. In the meantime, please comment! What are your favourite TV shows? Do you have any guilty pleasures that no one really understands? I'd love to hear about it.

5 comments:

  1. amazing! hahaha so bad it's good is the motto i live by when i realize 80% of my life is surrounded by tv!
    I think my guilty pleasure is plucking my eyebrows. but tv is something i dont even feel slightly guilty about. LOUD AND PROUD. i love tv :)
    great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am embarassed to say that my TV guilty pleasure is Jersey Shore... don't judge! ;-)
    Loved this post. Especially the part when you go over your obsessions starting with Prince William. I remember them all fondly!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your guilty pleasure Sarah! And Can...you're right I love TV hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha! Love it. But you don't have to be gay to love Calzona. I'm just a sucker for a romantic love story between two lovely gorgeous people who clearly have chemistry. And Grey's writes colour blind and gender blind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely agreed Maxine. And for a little gay girl like me who has very little of that romantic love on TV between two girls, this story is not just amazing but revolutionary in many ways.

    Rock on Calzona! Wedding in 17 days!

    ReplyDelete